Sunday, November 7, 2010

Rachmaninov: Prelude in C Sharp Minor

My Mom was an amazing pianist. I only wish now that I had gleaned more from her as I was growing up.

My favorite memories of Mom's piano playing were at night. Often, she would begin playing at bedtime. As my three sisters and I were settling into bed to go to sleep, we would hear mom's beautiful fingers start expressing what she couldn't in her words. We would yell out our requests, "Play Moonlight Sonata!" "Play Peter and the Wolf!" "Play The Swan!" and my all-time favorite was "Play Prelude in C Sharp Minor!" I never wanted that song to stop. I never wanted to hear mom stop playing.

Mom has been gone for over 20 years now. I wish I had gotten a video of her playing it. But, whenever I hear that song I can't but think of her and the emotion she put into it. Maybe that's why it has taken me so long to learn how to play it. It was always "Mom's" song.

But, now I am embarking on that journey. I want my son to remember me playing it. And, I hope that he will learn it himself, as well.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Best Blogger Tips
  • Share On Facebook
  • Digg This Post
  • Stumble This Post
  • Tweet This Post
  • Save Tis Post To Delicious
  • Float This Post
  • Share On Reddit
  • Bookmark On Technorati
Blog Bookmark Gadgets

0 comments:

Post a Comment